View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by novicequiltergrandma View Post
I'm a new quilter on a limited quilting budget. I started my "stash" by purchasing some pretty fabrics on ebay. I buy in bundles, or lots, so I get a better price. The only problem is I also ended up with some fabrics I hated. I found I was so afraid of cutting in to my pretty and/or expensive fabrics (afraid I would do something wrong and ruin my project). To get over that fear, I decided to go to my stash and pick out the two ugliest fabrics I could find......they just had to contrast. Then I made a baby blanket using the ugly fabrics just to try out a pattern I wanted to make. The quilt turned out really cute......much to my surprise!!!!!!! Then I pulled a bunch of ugly fabric from my stash, cut in small pieces, and made a TAW. It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!! These 2 experiments have taught me 2 things 1) 2 or more fabrics that would look hideous together if made in to clothing can look great when part of a quilt design. 2) even hideous fabrics, if cut in to small enough pieces , can be beautiful. Now I'm ready to take that stash, cut em up, and make some quilts. If I don't like it, I can always give it away. There are some charities that prefer "ugly" quilts, so my experiments won't ever go to wast!
This is so true!

1. Ugly fabrics work when cut up small and a TATW works for that--just use 2 or 2.5" pieces
2. Some charities prefer ugly so the quilts won't get sold for cash
3. Be brave and use what you have!

Great job, grandma!