Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Jitterbug

Ok, sticking my nose into this thread...I'm new here,well sorta,I've lurked on the board for years everyday,and finally joined this week. So excuse my butting in,and also I feel like a hypocrite since my quilting room is a mess right now, but here goes. I do not see you in this room. Strange statement since I don't know you,but I don't see you. Yes, this room speaks of work,with excellent things to work with,and wonderful supplies, but it does not speak of the personalty of you.It speaks of cold hard labor,industrial coldness.That is what spoke to me first before anything that would seem like clutter.I've seen thousands of photos of quilters,sewing rooms,crafts/art...be it spotless,or cluttered,and thread cuts,and bits of snippets of material on the floor,stacks of whatever everywhere...I first spot the things that speak of the true personality of that person above all else. That is what I see personally lacking.I know you said you noticed a quilt was missing from the photo,would that be the only thing of you in this room? I don't mean this offensive or anything of that nature.Maybe that is part of the "feeling" of dread to even work in the room, not just the feel of clutter.Maybe adding things that speak of you, your mind,feelings,creations of your own on display would help? Second, if I may continue to be bold some more, what bugs me(personally)is the type of shelving you have used. I balked, because it is what I thought it would have to come into my room also. Instead, I bought cheap bookcases,tall ones,that come from wallyworld, dollarstore type store.They are pressed board,fake oak look type. I used 2 up against the wall on one side of my room.They are something like 5'10 inchesx12 depth.I place one on either side of that wall with a gap in between. I then bought one 6ft.x1ftx1in.board from one of the "big box" store that is shelf board and laid that on top of each end of the bookcase to make an over head connection.Within that little alcove that was created between the cases,I put one of my tables.On it I even have another shorter pressed wood bookcase sitting on that table. I store my stuff in the plastic/lid tubs, so in the book cases are fabric stash,on top of the cases, and on the board that goes across, I have rolls of batting.One the small short one on that table itself, I store my threads, and even magazines,patterns. I only am mentioning my set up to say that the cheap bookcases works better for me than bracket shelves.Looks better to my eyes,and amazingly offered a good amount of space.Better than I thought at first. I got these for short term,very inexpensive, until I found the old hutches I had hoped to get. I don't know if I will ever do that now, for it works, and I'm happy with it. I said all this long winded ramble to say, maybe using one of these would work instead of the bracket shelf? I love the chair,it's a keeper for comfy sake, maybe more colorful fabric on the skirting of the tables to blend in slightly bolder or whatever your personality type to go with the chair.Color to the windows. Could be valance.or the type of valance that is draped scarf type that goes through ring type openings at the top of blinds or even change the color of the blinds. I really like the suggestions from the others who posted and I hope you don't mind me adding mine. I hope you find a very happy solution for you to comfort your heart/mind for your place.