Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 AM
angiecub

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 View Post
We lost our home, all of its contents, our RV and car in the PG&E San Bruno gas explosion of 2010. We thought we had done a good job of documenting our belongings by taking videos of them all. Unfortunately we stored them in our RV which was also lost in the blast. I strongly recommend that you take loads of pictures, but that you transfer them to DVD's and give copies to family and friends not in the area. Our insurance company, Hartford, by contract still owes us over $200,000 which they will never pay. They signed us off. Insurance is not all you think it will be plus the hours listing all of the items plus where, when they were purchased and their replacement cost.
Our home was leveled and cars totaled in the November 17 tornado in Washington, Illinois. I agree that somehow all of your possessions need to be documented. I had all of our recipes and pictures on a flash drive, but it was in the desk drawer, which is also gone. Should have had it in a safe deposit box or copies with someone else. When we get back home, I will have pictures of everything on a flash drive and will store that somewhere other than home, because while the insurance co has been good at reimbursing what we reported lost, I know we don't remember everything we accumulated over the last 30 years.