Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 AM
redcardinal

I have been without my kitchen for 15 months---due to damage from Sandy. Long story but, repair process is slow. When all my cabinets had to be removed, I set up folding tables I bought from Costco as my counter tops to I had work space and a place for a coffee maker and toaster and that is in my den. Underneath the tables are containers with cleaning products and small applicances like my mixer, waffle iron etc. I bought clear plastic containers--maybe 18 inches square with tops and about 3 inches high from AC Moore to put my silverware in and utensils--so I can see what is inside and they stack. Paper plates, plastic cups are a must to reduce dishes that need to be washed. I almost doubled my use of paper towels--I wipe out pots/pans with any greasy stuff or tomato sauces that might stain so I don't send that down, until recently, the bathroom sink or now the utility sink my husband set up that I am using to wash dishes. I use Al+ to line all baking pans for easier clean up. I bought a crock pot--great in the winter for soups, chili etc. I bought a table top toaster oven. I put my fridge in my den. I bought inexpensive shelving units from Home Depot and set up my pantry in the dining room so I can find things and have place to store things while the repairs are underway. Any thing I don't regularly use I packed in clear containers and they are either in the garage or on the covered back porch. I packed everything I don't use regularly...good dishes, summer stuff etc.. Now....with all that said, I made some mistakes. Because this has taken so long, I can't find my knife sharper, my rolling pins, my pastry cloths so try to think of what you might need based on holidays coming up because I had to rebuy those things just before Thanksgiving. You will be surprised how this "camping" will help your kids (if you have them) appreciate their house when it is put back together. I was without my washer and dryer for 4 months and after making them come with me to the laundromat when I had to go, they now help with laundry at home with no fuss. No complaints about helping with dishes either.