View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
Red face Feels like I came home

I have not been on the forum for over 2 years. Not for anything that happened here but just life and its ruts and bumps. This week I started a quilt for the husband of my BFF based on the 5 minute block by Suzanne and her video on YouTube. I had made a 10 minute block as a Christmas present for my BFF 2 years ago and they both loved it and it is on display in their living room. When I made the 10 minute block it was so easy so I figured the 5 minute block would be the same. Not so, I guesstimated the measurements of the block on the video and figured what difference would the size make so I made each rectangle 8.5 X 5.5, wrong again. I spent the whole afternoon trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I thought of the forum. True to form there was a tutorial for the 5 minute block and I saw what I was doing wrong. The math for the measurements was wrong. It turns out that the old saying "size does matter" is true. When I recut a block, according to advice on the tutorial, to 8.5 X 4.5 the flying geese aligned perfectly.
I want to say thank you to all who contributed to the Tutorial. It saved my sanity today. I was pulling my hair out up to the point I came here.
It is so good to be home again. Hugs to all, Penny