Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
Yes Steve, I think so, because the faceplate is diferent too, the "True" 1951 centennials have the faceplate with florals theme and mine is with straight lines as prior models see here. I supose is a "leftover 1950! centennial!!! LOL.

Wow i've graduated in "FW 101" in 24 hours flat!!!
I don't think that site is correct. In my experience, the striated plate replaced the floral. My 1950 machines both had striated plates. I switched one from a 1948 machine, so it has a floral plate now, and the 1957 222 I have has the striated plate. All of the centennials I've seen have had the striated plate.

I've also read that sometimes what would happen is the parts bin would get close to empty, and before it was topped up again with the new run of parts that parts that were for earlier models would "surface" onto a newer machine.

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If I recall correctly, there was discussion about Singer making these up for the 1951 centennial and using them on machines made in advance (for shelf stock) and even on machines made through 1953 to us up the stock and to ride the "buy them because they are special" wave.
I've read exactly the opposite. I wonder if I can find where it was. I read that machines that were in stock at the factories would get the badges as they left the factory. In cases where the machines were stocked in large numbers or slow movers you would see "old" serial numbers leave with centennial badges. From my understanding Singer was concerned that people wouldn't buy a machine with a Centennial badge in 1952 because they thought it was "old".

I have a 1948 Centennial 15-90 here. I would love to see a machine younger than 1951 that has the badge, so I'd love to hear when you remember which group has been finding them.