Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
moonrise

Originally Posted by Bee Beatty View Post
Moonrise,

I love every thing you have posted here. The blocks are all really well done. Being a visual person, it helps to see many of the blocks finished. The one you made for me is perfect! I am so impressed with how beautifully your points come together!

Question for the group: when making blocks from patterns that call for several 2-inch half-suare triangles - what can be done to prevent shrinkage of the total block size? I use Thangles ..reliable! However still need to work with a scant 1/4 inch seam everywhere!

Thanks,
Bee
Thanks! Glad you like yours.

I couldn't get "scant" 1/4" seams down for the longest time, so what I did was cut the squares just a shade bigger than the instructions said. Maybe 1-1.5mm bigger for a simple 9-patch, for example. That way they'd come out right for me. Make a test block or two, to make sure, though.

On HST's, I always cut them quite a bit bigger so I have some wiggle room. Like if the pattern needs 3-1/2" HSTs, it usually says to use 3-7/8" squares to make them. I go 4-1/4" instead. Then I cut them down to 3-1/2" after they're sewn. My HST's always come out too small if I use the measurements in the instructions, even if I use scant 1/4" seams. The only way I can get them to come out right using the instructions' measurements is to use an 1/8" seam, and that's just too small for comfort.

Fixing to start on PBadder's block, if I can find some pastel solids in my stash. I might have to go fabric shopping. Darn.

Last edited by moonrise; 02-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.