Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM
lynnefaye

[QUOTE=Pollytink;6600127]Hi! Are you familar with the Engine 2 Vegan program? Am getting his book from the library today to check it and the recipes. Sounds like the program has been good for you, for sure! I'm 80 and am making this change (I hope!) a bit late in life but think it will be for the best. I've been eating a lot of beans/legumes on South Beach and will continue that. I do get 1 cup of greek yogurt a day (with just a bit of berries) which helps. Going vegan I would miss dairy most....has anyone tried the vegan substitutes, e.g. using nutritional yeast instead of cheese?

Hey, Polly, I am reading the Engine 2 book now, the recipes sound wonderful. I fight with fibromyalgia and celiac, both of which are getting worse. I already have to eat gluten and dairy free but seems I need to tweak my food choices even more. My diet will be a flexatarian as I will eat some meat when we invited to a meal or in restaurants since my meal choices are pretty limited when I am not at home. I cook quiona all the time and it is very easy to do in a rice cooker. I use about 1 1/2 times liquid per amount of quiona. The red and white are both good, little different flavor. I also will continue to eat eggs as need the choline and my teeth will only chew a limited amount of nuts.
Wish you the best as you work on healing yourself with food. If you can get the video "Forks Over Knives" from your library, it will inspire you. It is the precursor to the Engine # 2 book.
Lynnefaye from eastern KS