View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
oldtnquiltinglady

Every one has their own reasons for wanting a FW. I had four, sitting around not being used at all (one is a 1936, my birth year with the lady's stuff, sewing lessons, the book, all her bobbins, various left over pieces of sewing add-ons to a pattern) one that was given to me by the person who gave my daughter sewing lessons when she was 13; and two that I was lucky enough to find in good shape for a good price. Then I got it in my head that I wanted a purple one (or red) (or blue), so have been looking for one that worked but didn't look so good. DH and I went on a road trip a few weeks ago, and stopping and looking in antique shops, HE found one and paid the full price asked ($275 plus tax) for it (I would not have, but he was thinking of my birthday). It is a 1941, and I have it cleaned up and running, and won't be getting it painted. I LOVE IT, and have a quilt started on it (piecing, only). If only I could make myself quit reading everyone's items on this board today......

Anyway, I love FWs, and 301s too for piecing. I don't belong to a guild, so showing mine off is once a year at FCE Retreats. I always take the quilting/piecing class that someone will be teaching, and we always do our share of oooohing and aaaahing over each other's machines.