View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM
LynnVT

[QUOTE=NopahDesertRat;6600628]My Great Grandmother was thrifty out of necessity. She made nearly all of her clothing. She would try to sew at least one seam every day on a dress or project. When finished with she would leave it in the machine and the next day the new seam would began with only a small amount of thread between seams so as not to waste the thread.]
This reminds me of a person in my guild who is a super quilter. I took a class from him and every time he finishes a seam he takes two little squares of scrap fabric cut from previous projects, and sews them together, then goes on to the next thing he needs to sew. He said it saves thread from having to pull off several inches when you cut the thread on the piece you are doing. I think I got that right. Anyway, he ends up with a box of bits sewn together that he makes into postage stamp quilts or something. I tried doing it, but it drove me crazy. I need to focus on the project I'm doing and frankly I guess I am wasteful of those 3 or 4 inches of thread when you end a seam. I'm a borderline hoarder, and have been trying to work on that. This week I sent an envelope of selvedges and small pieces to someone on this board as I knew I'd never use them. This is a fun thread - pun intended!