View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 AM
citruscountyquilter

I am obsessive about points and seams matching. I cut slack on this for everyone but myself. I found that if I stick a pin through, starting on the wrong side of the fabric, where my point will match and then put the other piece of fabric on top (right sides facing) letting the pin come through and mark that spot with a pencil. I pin the layers together on both sides of my marking pin and then take the marking pin out so it doesn't get in the way of sewing. The pencil mark gives me a reference point to stitch and the pins on either side hold it in place. You will not always have a true 1/4 seam at the point doing it this way but in the big picture of things what are you going to notice more, a point that doesn't match or a seam that is a hair under or over 1/4 and the point matches? Where two seams come together I try to nestle my seams by pressing the seams of the two pieces in opposite directions. If it's possible I sew so that the raw edge of the pressed seam is stitched first and this nudged the two seams together a little. If not then I pin more thoroughly to make sure the seams stays nestled. If I have multiple seams coming together like in the center of a star etc. then I press my seams open to reduce bulk and use the pin and pencil method I discussed above. It is rare that I don't have seams and points matching perfectly the first time using these methods.