View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I know this was a topic on this board awhile back, but I can not find it, so I will post another one. I have volunteered to house sit for my sister this summer. I am looking forward to the "alone" time and want to take my sewing machine on the plane. It is a very expensive machine. My plan is to take it as a carry on. I do have super sized bubble wrap. I need to check sizes for carry on. Has anyone done this? I would appreciate any input.
I tried to take a small Singer 401 as a carry-on several years ago, and they would not allow it. That meant I had to let it go under like the overweight carry-on bags. What happened? My machine was trashed--completely ruined the case and even the tension mechanism on the machine itself. I packed it as safely as I could to avoid further damage and took it back in a suitcase the next time. I had it repaired--maybe $85. Then I packed it again as carefully as possible in a regular suitcase. Again the tension mechanism was destroyed. I brought a new Elna embroidery machine the next time and it was trashed too. Maybe others can tell you a success story or two, but mine have all been disasters.