View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie View Post
I was having trouble with a very stubborn screw. I read that if you put a rubberband over the screw and then use a screw driver, you won't strip the screw head. You know, it worked and I was able to get the stubborn screw loosened.

Gail
Hi Gail! This is good information. So to clarify, you put the elastic over the head of the screw and put the tip of the screwdriver into the elastic? This would have been like a brocolli type elastic? I'm just trying to picture it.

I usually put a drop of oil on the screw and leave it for a few minutes. Then give the screw a bit of a tap with the screwdriver. It often busts the old dried oil and sludge loose. Then pushing as I turn the screwdriver CCW, it usually comes loose but I want to try this elastic method.

Originally Posted by barny View Post
OLD SEW AND SEW Are you saying that I lose power if I use an extension cord? I'm completely electricity empty in the head. LOL Sorry to butt in, but I've been enjoying reading all of these threads.
Yes! (I'm not OSnS... but...) there's avoltage drop that comes with the length of the cord. It's why certain devices say not to use with an extension cord, etc. Here's some info on it:
http://electrical.about.com/od/wirin...ncordchart.htm

For the record, I opted for a 25ft 12ga cord for my 1000W iron. It's overkill yes, but I would rather than than a fire.