View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM
TheMamaHauser

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
So I went back and looked at pictures from past booms I think I am intimidated! I saw some really really great stuff where do you guys get your block ideas? Do you use patterns for them? Books? Magazines? On line? Please give me some hints and secrets on your beautiful work.
This is how I do it: I surf pinterest like it's an occupation. If I see a block I like, I pin it and generally print a picture of the block and put it in my 4" 3-ring binder. This is a wild generalization (but I'll say it anyway): most blocks can be broken down into a 3x3 or 4x4 grid. If you can teach yourself how to look at the block and break it into the grid, you will find that it is very, very easy to determine measurements based on the grid. For 3x3, each piece needs to be 4.5" unfinished to make a 12.5" block. For a 4x4, each piece needs to be 3.5" unfinished.

If all else fails, get a sheaf of grid paper at Target ($3.99) and draw it out on a grid. Or ask someone who can help walk you through it a few times till you've got it - I'm happy to help if you need it!

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Also in reading the directions it says I should use removable labels on my baggies is there a particular label you use? Or way you do it that works for you?

Thanks for the hints
When I send my fabric out, I usually have a note in there and so I put an address label on the note- I use the free address labels that the charity places send every few months to get donations. I don't like putting the stickers on the fabric because I personally have gotten burned a few times not seeing the sticker, ironing it on, and having a gross gooey sticky mess to deal with on an already not-large chunk of fabric.

When I finish sewing the blocks, I include a special business card that I got through one of the millions of VistaPrint promotions. On the front it has my name, my board name, contact info, etc., and on the back I have lines to write who the block is for, the date I sewed it, and the name of the block itself. For $10, you can get 250 cards (maybe more, it's been a while now). I make sure that the handwritten info is facing outward when I package everything up.

Last edited by TheMamaHauser; 05-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.