Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by karlin68 View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the quarter inch foot if you piece on two different brand of machines? I just saw a video that indicated your finished block sizes may be off if you piece on two different machines as each brand has a different quarter inch foot. I thought a quarter inch was a quarter inch? LOL. I am worried because I just bought a portable, smaller sewing machine to take with me to retreats, trips etc but figured I would end up doing some piecing on that machine and my regular machine for the same quilt. I don't want to run into problems with different sized blocks ( have enough trouble getting my block size correct!). Just wanted to know if anyone heard this or experienced this. If so, will be sure I stick to piecing on one machine.
i use my feather wt to take w to quilt group meets etc. the needle is not moveable. been using scant 1/4" foot on it for years. the fixed needle position on it using 1/4" foot results in a <3/8" seam instead scant 1/4" ..so i have carefully placed a small strip of red electric tape at correct scant 1/4" mark (i don't want any tape on the enamal of this vintage beauty). the scant 3/8" is nice for my miniature quilt block piecing tho, so i continue to use the 1/4" foot instead of the regular fw foot that came w the machine. may sound complicated, but it works for me. i have a nice older pfaff at home w moveable needle, & have a scant 1/4" foot that i use on it also. i use a drafting ruler, set needle on 1/4" line to verify what my seam allowance truely is on any machine i am using, instead of relying on what the foot is.