View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM
quilter2090

I have several Brother sewing machines. For a basic machine, several years ago I purchased a VX-1500. It is a mechanical sewing machine with 9 built-in stitches. To start out with, I think it would be a great choice. I also have a sewing/embroidery sewing machine and a serger(which I love!) As with anything, it is a personal choice. You will find some people hate Brother machines and others love them. What I will say, Brother has a truly outstanding manual. Much better manual than my Bernina has. For a beginner, I think a mechanical Brother would be a excellent choice. My friend asked me to help her make curtains and I asked her if she had a sewing machine or should I bring some of mine. I did bring my Brother serger but she had 2 Brother sewing machines, but she said they didn't work well. So, since she only lives a few miles from me, if I couldn't get her Brother sewing machine I would run home and bring one of mine to her home. So I got to her house and saw a Brother basic mechanical machine,covered with dust. It had obviously not been used in ages. I had brought some sewing machine oil, a special screw driver I had found at my local hardware store which makes getting the plate screws loose better than any screwdriver I have.I got the plate off, cleaned the lint and dust out of the botten area, took out the bobbin and the bobbin case and cleaned that as well. After cleaning, I oiled the machine, put the bobbin case back into the machine. They had the manual, I looked up how to thread and how to fill the bobbin, did both and fired her up. She worked flawlessly. Oh, and the reason the machine wouldn't work for her? She had the needle in incorrectly. I honestly don't know how that poor machine worked at all! Also she had a thick cord wound on the bobbin. I asked her what kind of thread this is. She said she didn't know. I got most of her curtains sewed. What we didn't get sewed she sewed herself! this poor lady hand sewed everthing she had to sew. She can now use her machine and she doesn't get frustrated and give up machine sewing and going back to sewing everything by hand.I recommend Brother sewing machines.