View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I saw a post a couple of months ago on a thread here and I am cutting my strips backward. It is a little awkward leaning a new technique but with the 6"x24" ruler completely on the fabric, I find it is not slipping as much any more. I use a smaller ruler to line up for measuring the width of the cut. The way I learned to cut, most of the ruler is sitting on the rotary cutting mat and only the width of the cut had the ruler on the fabric. Hope this makes sense. I also have Omnigrip rulers
I can't begin to imagine cutting with the desired width entirely free of the ruler. That's how I square up the edges, but I would never cut useable pieces that way. There'd be no way to know if you were 'off' even minutely once you put blade to fabric. Do you have a link to the thread for that discussion?

I use a 24" long ruler, line the fabric fold up on the mat, line the ruler up perpendicular to the fold, walk my hand up the length as I cut, never cut more than 4 layers, and only have one fold in the fabric. My rulers are Olfa Frosted Advantage.