Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Havplenty

I too am allergic to cigarette smoke as it can cause my asthma to flare up so a serious situation for me. I normally would not accept any fabrics from heavy smoking homes as it is a challenge just for me to deal with it.

In the couple of instances where I have come in contact with cig smoke infused fabrics, I used dryer sheets stuffed in with the fabric first (for days) and later washed in vinegar and water. It worked for me.

Fabrics from smoking households is covered in nicotine stains that you cannot see so you will need to remove the nicotine stains that are in the fabric as well as eliminate the odor. Hanging outdoors may help to eliminate the odor but does nothing about the ingrain nicotine stains. Washing the fabric with an odor destroyer takes care of both problems.

I had received a swap gift from a smoker who said they would leave my swap gift in the car until mailed so it shouldn't be effected by the cig smoke. I received the gift and could smell the overwhelming scent of cig smoke at the post office. I left the package open outside on my back porch for over one week before I could bring it in my home to sanitize it washing everything that could be washed and wiping everything else down with a solution of vinegar and water.

For me the opportunity to receive smoked infused free fabric is not a deal and I can walk away. I have found that there have been other opportunities that surface for me to increase my fabric stash without this risk. Good luck on your haul.