View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
My opinion only.....I'm going to compare fabric with canned goods. The "store" brand versus the name brand...I was told, although I have no way to verify it, that in regard to canned goods, the "store" brand is actually a name brand canned good using the store brand label which the store pays for. That way the manufacturer gets paid for the name brand as well as the store brand so he's making money on both ends by making his product available for those who have money and those who do not. If this is true, maybe that's what happens with fabric manufacturers as well. Does anyone know if this is true?
I don't know what your source was for the store brand info you gave, but store brands are definitely not 'relabeled' brand name goods. Store brands are more comparable to generics in the drug world. They are made by large manufacturers, food or drug, that specialize in making generic and/or store brand products. I have several friends that work at such a factory in Michigan. You're far more apt to have two different store brand peaches or aspirin be identical then to have either be the same as DelMonte or Bayer.

I put no faith at all in the myth of several grades of a fabric being made to be sold to different stores. Nor do I have any faith in the idea that large manufacturers sell off their test runs of fabric. It's far more likely that part of those runs stay on 'file' for future reference, with any excess going to employees at deep discount. A test run is just that, a small test, not major production. But just as froggy said, those who believe the myth will never be convinced otherwise.

Jusge fabric quality for yourself on a case by case basis. It's the only way to be 100% sure of what you are getting.