View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

After literally "burning out the motor" on my Sears Kenmore years ago - although that machine loved sewing on heavier fabric, rather than cotton. I went to the local sewing machine dealer and after telling him how much quilting I did, he recommended a Singer, can't remember the model. Well, a year or so later, when trying to finish a quilt for a quilt show it became a "quilt and swear" as someone here mentioned, as the tension kept messing up on me, and I was only using straight stitches with my walking foot. After a discussion with the owner, he recommended a Janome 4000, and he gave me a trade-in for my Singer for the amount I'd paid for it. Granted that was many years ago, but we're still going strong, and I love it. It has all these wonderful embroidery stitches that I used in making 2 baby quilts for our next door neighbor's twins, and using a variety of rayon threads, the quilt was well received and I was very pleased. I would recommend going to a sewing machine dealer, in my area there are 2, and trying out machines to see which is the best fit for you. You don't need a Cadillac machine if you're only going to do Ford quilting, if you get my drift, buy what you need your machine to do.