View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 PM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by 1000scraps View Post
I have a question: for what are the hearts and how to use them? They look very nice! And I think these little quilts are for too early vorn babies? I too sew these mini quilts, it's so much fun!
The heart minis are for the babies born too early. Yes, you are right! All size minis are needed because the babies may weigh as much as 12 lbs. or very tiny at 2 lbs. The hospital these minis go to are for babies born from high-risk pregnancies and they come from all over the U.S. to go to this hospital in California (UCSD). It's the University of California at San Diego. There are 49 beds there. The minis are for 2 reasons: one is that it gives the parents hope their baby will live and they like them to decorate the baby's hospital room with. The second reason is they like to use them to cover the baby when the volunteers come to sit and rock them or hold them or the parents. Some may only be there for 3 days. Then the minis are given to the parents to keep and take them home with them. If the baby does not survive, they use the minis to bury them with. Only one quilt was seen on the isolette so that's why some of us are making them.

The hearts can also be used to either hang them up or use them as a mug rug (to place your hot or cold drink on) and they make a nice gift for someone in a hospital or nursing home to lift them up! I gave one for a birthday gift and she's using it to decorate her office with.

Yes, the little minis are so much fun to make!!! Make sure you click on the link on page 1 to see my pattern if you'd like to make one the same size as mine (8x5.5). No clipping of curves was needed! It's so easy to do and I hope it will bring lots of joy to those who see it.

Thank you for the good question! Others may have wondered what to use them for. Thank you for the compliments!! Hope your heart minis turn out great! Be sure and post here for others to enjoy!