View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I have used it both top and bobbin in my Bernina 1230 with no problems. Is it nylon monofilament? Or polyester monofilament? I know that with nylon monofilament there are some things that help a lot. The same probably holds true of polyester monofilament.

(1) Nylon monofilament stretches easily, which means I need to reduce the top tension from a 5 to a 3. Basically, cut your top tension in half.

(2) If the thread is on a cone, I use a thread net on it, place the cone in a jar behind my machine, and feed it straight up into an outrigger thread guide before it ever goes to the first guide on my machine. You can use a thread stand instead of a jar and the outrigger. I really like the Superior Threads new acrylic thread stand for this purpose. In other words, this thread often needs a pre-guide in order to feed correctly into the top thread guides. At least with a cone, you absolutely need a thread net. If you are using a spool instead of a cone, I'm not sure but a thread net cut to size probably wouldn't hurt and might help. This thread is slippery and has a tendency to fall down the cone and get caught before it feeds. You really need to make sure the thread has an unimpeded path to the needle, because any "glitch" in the feed (and the thread goes in and out of the needle multiple times for a single stitch) will cause thread nests underneath.

(3) If winding a bobbin with this stuff, do it slowly in order not to stretch the thread as it is going on the bobbin.

(4) If using a plastic bobbin, wind only half full. If using a metal bobbin, wind 3/4ths full. Never overfill the bobbin with this thread. Because of its tendency to stretch, winding fast and/or winding a bobbin too full can distort the bobbin's shape, causing numerous unexplainable problems when trying to sew.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-18-2014 at 07:48 PM.