View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by monopas View Post
It might be a bad thing if you've become a thread snob before actually doing any sewing. *this is me looking down in shame*

Just because of Internet strangers, I threw out all of the C&C thread I had from odd hand mending or whatever, and have a special thread case full of good and very nice thread (gutterman, mettler, aurifil) that I'd only used to test machines until I pieced my first block for Ashlea's quilt. But the test runs do look so nice when done with purple and cream colored Aurifil...
I dumped a lot of thread too once I started sewing more. I kept some of grandma's old spools, but dumped what I thought would frustrate me.

Then you won't want to know how expensive Gutermann and Mettler really are. For the $$, I just buy the Aurifil and such.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Great links Tammi! I need to sort my thread by breakage. I have some really old spools of cheap stuff and run into it when I go to sew and it keeps falling apart. Now I have a way to sort it out in advance.
Here's another reason to dump rotten thread: Even if it manages to run through the machine without breaking - if it's already compromised, it's not going to last long in the garment/quilt/etc. I spend too much time stitching to have to do it again every time I wash an item. If I wanted to do that, I'd still be buying my clothes at Costco (not too bitter about that last pair of pants... )

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-31-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: link is to own site