Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
joe'smom, I love the shades you are using! Is the yellow the one we had messaged about? I think it has more white in it than mine (there were several prints in the line), but the same color. If you can find something a bit more vibrant, try that.

Also, remember than there will be more black and white than color, as well as that aqua (your blue) and pink than yellow or green.

Your way of auditioning fabrics is brilliant! I am going to try to remember that. In the circle, the bottom half does have more of the white, but also more of the yellow. Try increasing the pinks and blues while decreasing the yellow.
Estimated yardages: Neutrals 3 yds; Black, 2 1/4 yds; Pink, 2 yds; Aqua (blue), 2 1/3 yds; Yellow, 1 5/8 yds (without binding); and Green, 1 1/2 yds. Try rearranging the scrap pieces closer to that ratio and see what you think.

I don't generally care for a black background. Or maybe I do. Calico Gals in Syracuse is doing a block of the month (pattern is free if you subscribe to their e-mail); the background is black and the fabrics are solids - which I also do not like... But it is stunning http://www.snapretail.com/retailer/T...onsumer/616393 Maybe I DO like black and solids, lol. Alternatively, I do think a deep purple or dark navy would work.
I think adjusting the color proportions made a big difference. It doesn't seem as weighed down by the black. I used three white to two black, blue and pink, to one green and yellow. I think the yellow looks warmer and richer in the midst of more white, than in the photo I posted earlier. I also took out the neutral whites with black, and used quieter ones; they don't add any interest, at least from photo distance. I think what I might do is look for one fabric to use as a neutral throughout, one that will add some interest without adding black. If nothing turns up, I think I will be fine using the neutrals I have assembled.

The pictures here are: 1)The circle I posted earlier, 2) The circle with the proportions adjusted, the black and whites removed and with two of the dotted yellow on the right and one slightly deeper yellow on the left, 3) The same photo, but with all the yellows being the slightly deeper one, 4) The same but with a much brighter yellow. I feel content with the yellow dot at this point.

peaceandjoy, I also admire black with brights, yet never feel inclined to do one. Maybe someday!

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and input!
Attached Thumbnails imgp8268.jpg   imgp8283.jpg   imgp8284.jpg   imgp8285.jpg