Thread: Tied
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
I think a lot of it depends upon what country our ancesters came from as to what they called a "Quilt"

When I was growing up quilts didn't always have batting in them. Old worn out blankets were used for the middle layer and then the Quilt was tied to keep the blankets from shifting.
In the south, anything that had a couple of layers, with our without an "innards" (flannel, blankets, batting), whether tied or sewed was called a quilt. The term "comforter" wasn't seen in our area until sometime around 1970 or 1980. Before that you either had a bedspread, blanket, or a quilt. The quilt was normally the only pieced item. I had never seen a whole cloth quilt until about 15 years ago. I know, they have been in existence for many years, but not down here for the average person.

And....I am always learning new things. I decided to look up when comforters came into existence and instead found a really good article about our craft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_quilting

And now, I know I really didn't know anything about the history of quilt making. I wonder how often we use our knowledge and come to conclusions based on our own individual lives. Ironically, all my observations were only true for me. lol