Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Put it on thin and have patience. I'm not patient. I've been learning - school of hard knocks. I have one I'm working on - it was butt ugly but it is starting to look pretty good. It will never be a beauty but it is a nice work horse. [ATTACH=CONFIG]500947[/ATTACH]
And as I am progressing:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500948[/ATTACH]
The machine has now been cleaned and oiled. It now turns real sweet. Likely, it will always be somewhat ugly. It has had a coat of Naptha and then some denatured alcohol with linseed oil. After a few minutes, I went over it with denatured alcohol and shellac. You want to keep the pad you use tight on your finger. It is still pretty blotchy. I keep going over it. To get it really smooth will take a lot more work. You can quit any time and use the machine then go back over it as you wish. My DGD Miss L is over so we put the machine back together - she loves to help... I need to find a working motor and test the machine. Right now Barbie is a lot more fun than waiting for shellac to dry. I shot some more pics so you can see some more progress but not perfect. At this point I can sew on it and then when the kidos go home or I have some time then I can do some more with the shellac. When it gets hard to work I use the linseed oil again.
Attached Thumbnails ugly-old-singer-15-032.jpg   improving-ugly-002.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-02-2014 at 01:19 PM.