View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I was asked how much it would cost for me to get the machine that I would love to have and the response was you are out of your mind there are so many other things you could do with the money, so I decided to ask a few of my friends. I know I could have worded this thread differently but needed to get this type of response to show that it's not just me. So thank you all for the wonderful responses that I knew I would get, I knew a lot of you would get defensive and maybe angry but I knew it would be real! Some people don't understand that at some point in our lives mothers get to say "it's my turn I deserve this and I want it ".
That is why we have quilting forums and such. People who don't sew or quilt can't begin to understand. They think that a $89 Brother from Walmart is fine for everything--and it might be--for what they need.

But it is that way with any craft/hobby or specialization.

I found this quilting board in 2010 when I decided to buy my first "expensive" machine - a Janome 7700. I knew at that point that I didn't know anyone around me who could help me grow in my sewing expertise. No one knew more than basic sewing--and no one would understand my frustration with having a 5"throat and why that was too small....and I couldn't talk with any of them about spending almost 2K on a machine! That had to remain a secret!

I had to go on line to find a community of quilters who could teach me. When I found this forum, I was so happy!