Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
J Miller

Yep, that's a Davis made Minnesota Model B as sold by Sears Boruck and Co. The notes in my record sheet for mine says they were made between 1902 and 1909.
Ah, I see Jon beat me to the posting.

Your DH did a good job finding that one.

I see you have some needles, that's good cos they take an oldie. The needles are: Davis Long or a Boye #10. The industrial MTx190 can be substituted but you'll have to orient the needle yourself as it's a round shank.

My Minnesota B was converted from treadle to electric eons ago and put in a home made base. Should I ever come across a treadle cabinet that fits, I'll put her back to treadle.

Here's a couple of oiling tips.
Under the front slide plate there is a large hole just to the left of the arched wall the shuttle rides against, about an inch in from the front of the machine. That should have a felt wad in it and it is an oil hole. There is a tiny cross drilled hole to the wall to lubricate the shuttle as it passes back and forth. You'll probably have to clean the big hold and the tiny cross hole out and put in some new felt. The one in my machine was a solidified mass and the cross hole was plugged.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502523[/ATTACH]
There's another hole just about an inch away from the needle plate, that is also an oil hole.
And there is a hole near the silver stud just to the left of the pillar base to oil the pivot for the shuttle arm.

Lots of places to oil these old ladies.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails shuttles-008.jpg