View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Macybaby

More practicing.

For satin stitching, I switch to the foot with the groove in it. This allows the bulkier stitching to slide under the foot easily. My machine is over 30 years old, so maybe this is not needed for newer machines.

I loosen the top tension a bit, and lighten up the foot pressure about half way. I did the first one and it ended up a bit puckered (one on the left).

Then I remembered I bought stabilizer for this. I've never used it before, but bought a bolt of it last week when Joanne's had it half price. I figured it might come in handy . . .

And the second - the same as the first, but with the stabilizer. I realized that the stabilizer limited quite a bit of the feed dog action, making it easier to go around the corners.

So I tried one with the dogs dropped. I did have to reduce the foot pressure even more so I could move it around. Made a few "opps" stitches, and it's shaky, but not bad enough that I want to rip it out . . . but it was a lot easier doing the straighter parts with the dogs engaged.

For the last, I had the dogs engaged, but kept the pressure lighter. Made it easier to turn tight corners, but kept me from accidentally getting way off, and made going down the straighter spots much easier.

I might actually get pretty good at this by the time I'm done! If I do the blocks in order and lay them out the same way, it will be a "study" in my increasing ability as I've gotten more practice.