View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
My goodness....how do I thank you guys! I aligned everything as you directed Manicmike, and without your, CD's, and Kenmoregal2's input, I'd still be scratching my head. The machine is now sewing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

One more thing I've noticed, perhaps you guys know...if you don't mind me asking. The machine sews nicely, then suddenly, the tension will become very tight (I haven't touched it), so tight that the thread will break. Do any of you have an idea of what may be causing this issue and how I'd fix it? I have the tension set as loose as it will go, and it will still tighten to the point of breaking the thread. If it wasn't for this issue, I think I'd have a "new" machine.

Thanks again! I'm seriously so happy and grateful I was able to at least get this gal up and running!

-Rachael
We're all happy to help Rachael.

Do you think we mind you asking?
You need to find out where the extra tension is coming from. When it breaks a thread, pull the thread end until you can see where the problem is.
If you're lucky it will be dirty discs in the tension assembly (this is easiest to fix). Here's how to do this:
1. Put a bit of metal polish at the centre of a short length of fabric or a shoelace.
2. With no thread in it (duh) wrap this carefully in either thread path and clean it, being careful not to catch the tension spring. Repeat with the other thread path.

If there's stubborn dirt, take the assembly off and clean the discs out of the machine. Take not (or photograph) the assembly as you do it, as 99% of us forget how it came off almost immediately.

If you aren't lucky it will be catching somewhere else. We'll wait for the result of your investigation.

Mike