Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 PM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Jitkaau-----what is a mossie resistant candle?
Your verbal picture of Christmas in Australia is so different than what I know here in the usually snowy, cold Midwest....
Love to hear the different celebrations of the day
Sorry to use slang terms when I'm explaining stuff. The mozzie resistant candles are what we burn to keep mosquitoes away. Some people have electric or battery operated bug zappers as there are lots of bugs around. The most annoying are a particular fly that we have which bites and leaves behind an itch similar to the itch one gets from a leech. I usually wear wrist and ankle bands which are impregnated with the stuff as I 'm allergic to the sprays that some people use. It is very common to see zinc cream, sun protection creams, mozzie sprays etc and hats disappear from theretail shelves at this time of year. Lots of people have a roaring trade in selling little candles at markets.
We had first Christmas Dinner at 12:00pm today in a large, air conditioned dining room with fans going. It is not as hot as expected so far -only 77 degrees Farenheit in my neck of the woods. The clouds are very dark and heavy and we are expecting a thunderstorm. The thunder is rolling very loudly as I write this - so it won't be long.
All the best for Christmas.