View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 AM
lfty298

Another approach might be to get a simple straight stitch machine with a 9" harp and a separate embroidery machine - this of course assumes you have room for all three. I am not familiar with embroidery machines, but the prices I see on allbrands and ken's sewing center are under $2K together and leave room in your budget for some embroidery supplies.
- the straight stitch machines typically include needlle down, thread cutter, auto threader, and 1500 spm. They also come with a few extra feet - which include a walking foot, a quilting foot and a quarter inch foot and an extension table. These are basically mechanical machines and you can adjust the tension, feed dog height (maybe not on the janome) and pressure foot pressure. Common brands on the 9" harp machine are brother, babylock, juki and janome. I am very pleased with my bl - but the reviews I read from other quilters on the other brands are usually pretty positive. Having the large harp and high speed are definite pluses for fmq.
Good luck with your purchase
Lefty in (slightly snowy) Philly