View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
How'd you do that border? It's super sharp!
Thank you, everyone, SO much for your nice comments!!! I appreciate that!!

So glad you asked about the border, wendiq! People have asked before how I do this so here's what I posted for the last quilt I did. It's so easy and so very much fun -- my favorite way to use small scraps up that are left over from the piecing! Let me know if you'd like a tut as I'll be more than happy to do one. I think maybe this mini-tut will fit the bill.

For the Baby Bow Ties quilt (and the other one too), I made a 2.5" (cut size) border of the crazy patch by just simply squaring the strip up about every 4" or so as I added pieces. I like keeping it squared as I go along so I can easily see what size scraps I need next, thereby eliminating alot of waste on the side pieces. In general, I make the strips about 14" long or so in order that I can add 'linking' pieces to the strips that are color themed with the quilt. Then with those strips highlighting the color theme of the quilt, I join the strips together to form each side of the quilt.

It's best to use something really visible from the distance so your Crazy Patch Border stands out! In other words, big scale stuff shown in the samples below:

Hope this helps! If not, let me know and I'll do a tut especially for all those interested! Thanks for asking and loving my borders!! n2
Attached Thumbnails braid-sample.jpg   another-sample.jpg   adding-cut-offs.jpg   add-text-prints-lg.-scale-etc..jpg   wonky-short-strips.jpg