Thread: Freds stash
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Jeanette Frantz

It is sad to see someone collect so much "stuff", whether it be sewing machines or whatever. My almost-88 year-old aunt was definitely a "hoarder". My son and I emptied out her house when the property was sold. I thought it was going to literally kill me -- it hadn't been that long since I'd had back surgery, so it was touch and go for a while. I know one thing, I won't do that again -- it's not worth the pain. We took probably 200 pounds (I couldn't begin to guess the yardage) of double-knit fabric -- and it wasn't in bad shape either. She had three sewing machines-- (1) the National Two Spool; (2) and (3) a couple of Dial 'N Sew, one in a cabinet, another in a box. I gave one away -- the things weigh a ton. She had tons of ceramic stuff she had done -- and quilt blocks -- some of which I have put to use. I made a quilt (the top is done) for my son -- these are hand-embroidered state flower blocks. I bought material for the sashing and border a year and a half to two years ago -- then, tragedy struck because there wasn't enough of the fabric. I lucked out -- I went to the local JoAnn's Fabrics and they had the fabric I was using -- I bought 3 yards without blinking an eye -- also lucky- - it was 40% off! My SIL thinks anything my aunt had was "junk" and told me to throw away the quilt blocks, throw away the double-knit (which is very nice for hand applique since it doesn't ravel) and I not-so-politely refused. The quilt blocks were given to my cousin who has a quilt shop in Oklahoma so that nothing is wasted. My aunt is really pitiful -- she just didn't want any of her stuff sold at Salvation Army or Goodwill! Enough of that -- it gets depressing! What is also depressing is that I can't type correctly and my spelling gets really bad (due to the typo's)! This too shall pass! LOL

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 01-12-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typographical error