Old 01-14-2015, 05:25 AM
Billi

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
My advice is to think like a buyer . People are buying a lifestyle. They want space but also need "vision" to see how a room can be used. We are going to be buying our (last ever) house, Lord willing, in the next five years. I love to see a room ( a very large, bright room) already being used as a sewing room, but I hate to see the inevitable clutter that a sewing room has. I want to think I am going to have an always neat, tidy, spacious, bright sewing room because, hey, here it is! Right here in the house I'm touring for sale! The lure of a quilting lifestyle sans clutter! Doesn't the whole world live out of one box with one sewing machine, and wide open shelves ready to put brand new fabric?

That's how I would think going in as a buyer who likes to quilt. I don't want her crap, I want this SPACE for my own

If I were a buyer just looking at a bedroom that's stuffed to the gills with crafty crap, I would feel smothered and claustrophobic, whether I was creative or not. The way I see it, packing up a classroom (did that when our little school closed permanently) and helped my DD pack hers when she left the profession (after just two years) I was overwhelmed. So many decisions. So much physical, mental and emotional energy gets expended. Do yourself a favor and ask about everything you handle: does it bring me up or down? Have I used it in the past six months? Can I easily replace it if I let it go now? If you answered up, yes, yes" keep it. Otherwise, let it go, let it go.....

i like the idea of keeping one kit ready for when you just have the itch to sew at your machine. And a basket for handwork to relax with. What will you thank yourself for doing later? I like to start at the end and work backwards.
Great advise, most realtors tell you to pack up personal items and family photos so the prospective buyers can see themselves in that space...you need to stage every part of your house like a magazine. It's a pain to live like that but it will help sell your home faster....you don't want to wait for the perfect "crafter, quilter" to see past it you want to appeal to as many people as possible. No matter how big your home you want it to be clutter free and feel roomy.