View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Jeanette Frantz

MaryAnn, I did a quilt as a wedding gift for my nephew (pictured in my avatar) and his bride. My cousin cautioned me that "red" might bleed. I cut a small strip of the fabric and put it in a glass of the hotest tap water I could get -- it did bleed. So, to make a long story shorter, I searched for a "dye setting" product -- Found it -- Ritz Dye Fixative -- the only place I 've found it was online at the Ritz website. It's not expensive, but I've never been able to find it in a retail store. I use my very large soup pot, fill it with water and use the product in accordance with the instructions, bring it to just below simmer,* put in the dry fabric, and let it almost simmer for 20 minutes. There is a trick -- if I have several shades of a color (red, for instance) I start with the very lightest shade first. I use tongs to remove the fabric from the hot water into the sink (just to cool it off), then put in the washer, rinse it, and dry it in the dryer; then, I add about a pint of water and a tablespoon more of the dye fixative, and start from *, going through all the various shades of red. By starting with the lightest shade and continuing to the darkest, you can save on use of the product, save time in the heating process, etc. MOST IMPORTANT, IT WORKS! (At least it works for me)!

Jeanette