View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Notwendy

I started collecting post WWII Japanese made sewing machines (generally sixties) before I ever sewed a stitch. I just liked the look and found them fun to tinker with and get running.

I move between 4 of my 6 machines, depending on what I'm doing. I use my Kenmore Trispan 158.880 for piecing, my Kenmore 158.850 for FMQ (attempts only) and just bought a walking foot for it. My 3rd Kenmore is a lavendar 158.540. They all take cams which is pretty neat. I would love to find the monogrammer that goes with one of more of them.

I don't really have the space to open it up (all my Kenmores are in cabinets) as much as I'd like and it works off a knee pedal that needs to be rewired so to use it I have to grab the floor pedal from my 85. I occupy a corner of the kitchen and try to contain the mayhem. I keep my Pencrest (JC Penney's) Swing & Sew set up for zig zag and it is my most portable machine. I use my Montgomery Ward's UHT J 1964 too, as it is my only free arm and is also pretty light to move about as needed.

I need to rewire the power cord on #6, as the original looks as if rats chewed on it. The interior electrical (going to the light) cord is great and the machine looks in good shape. Everything moves as it should once I oiled and lubed it but I haven't yet been able to plug her in. It is from the same era/country of origin as the Kenmore's but is badged as an American Beauty. It is bright blue with a rose on the bed. It is supposedly a portable judging by its carrying case. Ha! It weighs over 45 lbs. Not something I'd casually lug around.

I'm afraid to try anything newer, as I love bright shiny objects and I have neither the room nor the bank account to justify another machine that has features that I would likely rarely use. The most I've ever paid is $85 and that included the mid century modern cabinet, all the cams/feet/buttonhole templates/original manual and the little sewing chair that opens up for storage. I'll save the money for more fabric! : )