View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
dilyn

Default Fabric dyeing experimental lab 101

I have been trying some new (for me) fabric dyeing techniques and thought I'd share the outcomes for these experiments. Some things I've learned....be careful when you try to combine colors...they can turn to mud brown in the wink of an eye, (not that mud brown isn't useful now and again but you don't want yards and yards of it). I used my microwave to 'heat set' the colors but I learned that you have to use cotton strips to tie fabric bundles...not nylon cord or rubber bands....they can and did start a fire. I was watching carefully for any problems so I caught it when it first started to smoke...rushed it outside where it sat on the cement driveway and smoked a minute or two then burst into flames...lesson learned! Other than those 2 issues, I'm happy with my 1/2 yard 'hand dyed' fabrics. Here are some photos of the line up and some close ups. Now I have to come up with a quilt design to use them on!
Attached Thumbnails dscn3613.jpg   dscn3614.jpg   dscn3610.jpg   dscn3611.jpg   dscn3612.jpg  

dscn3615.jpg