View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
seasaw2mch

The "cut & sew perfectly" was because I have tried many a pattern without measuring in between finishing the parts and when I got done I found the so called 12 1/2" blocks were anything but. In the first boom I was in, I had so much trouble with patterns coming out the right size that I started testing every pattern on scraps before making blocks. I even went to the extent of marking the seams on every piece to be sure I was making them the right size (1/4" or scant 1/4"). I finally realized it's wasn't me it was the patterns that were off.

So after watching my favorite person, Elinore Burns, it dawned on me that wasting a small amount of fabric was a lot cheaper then having to redo blocks all the time. Even some of the patterns that I printed from the EQ program were just barely the right size. Anyway, with all the testing I did, I have made it a habit of doing the first new block using scraps, if it turns out the right size then it's all good but if it doesn't then I can make adjustments before using the good fabric. When I'm done making sure the pieces work right, I put all the templates for that block in a clear page protecter and put it in a 3 ring binder. That way I have it for later to use again.

Now don't take this wrong, EQ is a great program to draw blocks, put together quilt patterns to visually see what they look like before you spend good money on fabric but it still has lots of problems with getting the yardage requirements right and some times getting the templates accurate. I bought EQ for the block design capabilities really, I already had the Quilt Pro program which does a lot of that as well and it does a great job but it was frustrating to draw the blocks I wanted to play with. I use both programs all the time. Before you invest the money for either program, I would suggest you find someone that has them and will let you play with it to see if it's worth you spending the money.

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thank you for the detailed information you have not scared me away you have set my feet back on the ground Ill try your directions first on some scraps,, then maybe find a pp one to try then weigh all options before making any purchases of fabric.

I loved the "if you cut and sew perfectly" note you have seen my swap blocks right? I'm wondering if 5" is enough hahaha I would much rather trim and waste 1/8 to 1/2 inch on a bunch of blocks than to waste a bunch of blocks because the are small or wonky.

Some day I want it invest in eq but first I need a new computer mine is so old it would never run that size or complicated program.

I am going to make that quilt it's a perfect pattern for my friend whose husband is a diver in the navy, they both love to scuba dive and her bed room is navy and white with a "salty sailor" theme. I just won't be in a hurry to get it done.