Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM
eyes

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Perhaps a "survey" of the girls would be helpful and you could, with your questions, find out who is really serious about learning our craft and who is not serious. My beginning quilt class members make a 9-block wall hanging which teaches the basic skills. The girls do their own work from start to finish..They are able to go on by themselves when they finish the beginning class. They do their own sewing, basting, and quilting. Yes, some do not finish, but the majority of them do.
I like the survey suggestion.
I was told by a quilt shop owner that most people want to make a quilt in a day. One weekend is the most you can get out of them so I would be very careful what you are getting involved in.
I was lucky. I had a lovely lady who taught me a few things during her battle with lung cancer, which she lost, and let me hand quilt with her on a floor frame. On my own she made me make a table runner. I continued because I was always interested. The younger people are different...it's more I did this to show and tell and then they move on to the next.
If you take a survey you may find the one or two who really want to learn.