View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I didn't realize you could have a midarm on a frame, how does this work? I have obviously confused the descriptions, because I thought a midarm (like the BL Tiara) was a large harp machine set into a table, but with the machine set the opposite of how a DSM is set up. How large a quilt can be quilted on a mid arm with a frame? How big is the frame? Any idea how the price of this set up compares to a midarm in a table? Just for example, Of course true cost would depend on brand, dealer, sales etc.
The terms mid arm and long arm refer to the throat space. Generally speaking, a throat of between 12 - 16" is considered a midarm and anything over is considered a LA. But the terms are used loosely.

ANY sewing machine can be loaded onto a frame. Even a small domestic with only a 9" throat. All machines from the little domestic to the huge commercial jobs (32" or larger throat that they use to do mattresses) ride on a carriage that is on the frame. The small machines run out of room very quickly because as quilting progresses, the completed quilt is rolled onto a takeup roller that is also taking up throat space. So many who mount a small throat machine (IMHO that is anything under 16" harp) on a rack are quickly discouraged because they have to turn a larger quilt to complete quilting and run out of available quilt space so quickly. Turning means unpinning the entire sandwich and literally turning it around so the completed part is on the front roller. Additionally, LA quilting machines are much more heavy duty and run at much higher speeds than a domestic or a stretched machine like the bailey. So it is very easy for the quilter to manipulate the machine head faster than it is capable of sewing. This leads to a whole different set of problems or the quilter must train themselves to move the machine much more slowly.

To me, the beauty of frame quilting is:
No more basting the quilt sandwich
It is more "intuitive" to move the machine over the quilt rather then move the quilt under the machine
I don't have to start in the middle and work your way out
I am more comfortable standing up to quilt than sitting down

the downside is the frame does take up a lot of room. I have a dedicated room for my LA and I still could only fit a 10 ft frame. Would have loved to have a 12 ft.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-03-2015 at 08:07 AM.