Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 PM
cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I use the board method for sandwiching and just LOVE it. I even added my own "feature"; I covered my boards with flannel so that the quilt top and backing don't slip around on them when I start to wrap.
I finally used the board method just this week and loved it!!! I did have a problem with the fabric slipping when starting to wrap so will definitely be using this tip for flannel!!!!!

I bought my boards about 6 months ago and finally got up the courage to just give it a try and am so glad that I did. I followed Sharon Schambers videos. I used DMC pearle cotton thread #8 (on a little ball at Joanne's) along with a milliners needle but probably any needle will do.

The first finger, on my right hand, was starting to get a blister from pushing the needle through the fabric and then grabbing it to pull it through so I put a bandaide on that spot and had no more trouble after that.

The best thing about this method is that I was only able to baste 1/2 the quilt, the first day, and it was very easy to just roll it all back up, on the boards, and put it away until the next day. I've machine quilted it on my regular sewing machine and didn't have any trouble with pleating or shifting of fabric.