View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Quilting Nonnie

Default Oh yeah!

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Had a wonderful visit with and 87 yr. old cousin who lives in the same nursing home as my father. I knocked on her door and found her sitting in her chair, lap covered by a quilt she pieced and was hand quilting. NEXT TIME I'LL BRING A CAMERA. On the table sat her Bernina Minimatic (must be from the 1950's, I'd guess), and she had me open a drawer and bring her some quilt blocks she received many years ago from her aunt (perfectly embroidered). She still intends to make them into a quilt top. They are well over 100 years old. My cousin said she's the only resident with a sewing machine in that nursing home!

I want to be her when the day comes that I live in a nursing home - still making beautiful quilts!
And I promise to take & share photos next time!

Omigoodness yes! My auntie quilted into her 80's. When she could no longer see well enough to quilt, she pieced blocks. When she couldn't see to do that, she cut pieces for quilts. You see, like your cousin, she learned to quilt the old-fashioned way. Cutting pieces by hand with cardboard or linoleum templates, sewing the blocks together by hand and then quilting it together by hand! Maybe in my eighties I'll have to resort to scissors because I'd probably cut a finger off if I used a rotary cutter! Bless your cousin's heart.