View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 AM
DresiArnaz

I got mine from the thrift store for $19. There was also a green and white Singer there with a box full of cams or something but it looked too complicated and the needle broke when I turned the handwheel. Yikes!

I was nervous about buying the White but did it anyway because everything turned freely and it just felt right if that makes sense.

No accessories or controller but I had a foot that fit and used the controller from my Sphinx reproduction which is made by Alphasew.

It didn't sew correctly at first but it was just a tension issue. I adjusted the tension on the bobbin, cleaned the lint out of the bobbin area , oiled everything, removed something that looked like automotive wheel bearing grease here and there and then it worked.

I cleaned the contacts where the controller plugs in, fixed the floppy takeup lever and fixed the latch on the little door covering the light so it would stay closed.

Then I put the foot on it that it was supposed to have($6) attached a seam guide and the thing works great!

It is sooooooo quiet and I was able to piece 1.5" squares with no pins, no leaders, no adding machine tape or drama of any kind. Oh-I also bought plastic bobbins because I'm not used to the way metal sounds anymore.

I am thrilled with this machine!

I bought it as back up in case a gear is going out on my Singer 9022. Trying to just use it for decorative stitching.

I also recently acquired one of those Sphinx reproductions but I paid way too much for it and the thing just runs away from me. I think it's because of the gigantic handwheel that just gets sooo much momentum behind it.

Last edited by DresiArnaz; 04-19-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Forgot something