Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Macybaby

I have the PDF file of one of the Carter Bays book, third edition. Love the pictures, but was disappointed because it's got a small section about the era I'm interested in. It's got a bigger section on toy machines than 1900-1930 machines.

I used the info in Appendix G to round out my collection - I'm including a bit from the book
hmmm - was reading it again, and Bays states this info came from Grace Cooper's book at the Smithsonian.

Davis - National purchased "good will" trade names and names previously owned by Davis in late 1924
Domestic - became a whole owned subsidy of White in 1924
AG Mason - worked for Davis, started his own mfg, died in 1916 and company became subsidiary of Domestic
Household - stopped production in 1906
Foley & Williams - developed about 1885 from HB Goodrich- remained in business until 1924- reorganized as Goodrich Sewing Machine CO - active to mid 30's
New Leader - does not have much - other than it was in operation from about 1926-1933
Standard - sold to Osaan Fur Machine Co in 20's. Osaan acquired by Singer in 1931
Free - outgrowth of Royal Sewing Machine Co, formed as Illinois Sewing Machine Co in 1895, Free joined and became president and formed Free as a "parent" company. Mfg discontinued in 1969
National - formed by consolidation of Eldredge and June- was merged with Free in 1953 as a wholly owned subsidiary.
New Home - went through several reorganizations before becoming New Home in 1882, affiliated with Free in 1930, purchased from Free by Janome in 1960
White * though not in the book, White was bought by Viking (Husquvarna). Viking, Pfaff and Singer consolidated to form SVP Worldwide, the current company producing all three.
Willcox and Gibbs - discontinued production in 1973
Singer * now part of SVP worldwide. Bay's mentions Wheeler and Wilson being taken over by SInger in 1905-1907, so I included a WW machine.