View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Geri B

All female members of my birth family were sewers, crocheters so I grew up thinking a sewing machine was part of the must haves when setting up housekeeping.... Learned on moms treadle, then bought my own electric when in high school with $$ from part time after school job..did not take home ec......mom, aunts, grandma could teach me all I needed to know about housekeeping......but none were quilters...I do remember fathers mother did yoyos, but that was the extent of it......after 20 yrs of marriage we moved to another locale and my neighbor was a prolific quilter...at first although I admired her work, thought.... No way....until one day bought a bag of 5" squares at a garage sale and a few nights. later, bored, went up to my " little attic" and began sewing them together- 5/8" seam allowance!-- but I still have it and my neighbor was so proud of me!..and the rest, as they say is history...devoured library books, bought mags, books, found Joann fabric, and still love learning new ways to do "olde" things. I enjoy cutting up the fabric and putting it back together differently.....but I have always loved and got the most satisfaction out of using my hands to "do" something..... And today, for example, how to "face" a quilt edge....!!!!