Thread: Storing fabric
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 AM
RosaSharon

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I will probably be moving in the next few months so will probably need to store fabric in a non heated/ non air conditioned storage unit for up to a year. With summer temps here getting into the triple digits, I'm concerned about how to store the fabric safely. I have a plethora of plastic tubs, and they do well for fabric storage in my temperature controlled house, but I wonder if sealed tubs would attract moisture in a storage unit? Cardboard boxes are my other option, but then I'm concerned about creepy crawlies getting in.

A temperature controlled storage unit is not an option at present. Any and all suggestions for storage ideas are welcome. Thanks.
My mother gave me a cardboard box full of fabric scraps about 25 years ago. I didn't sew at that time; don't even know why she gave it to me. I stuck it out in the garage, then we moved about 5 different times, each time the box was in our garage, until one day I decided I wanted to make potholders with it. The fabric was just fine! Just to ease your mind. It survived heat, cold, dark, and everything in-between.

Anyway, that is when after sewing some potholders, I said to myself, "If I make enough of these potholders, sew them all together, I could have a quilt!" That is how I got started!!