View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 AM
shy

I have made many hex quilts..I have tie one..because to do that takes away all the pattern of the hexs..it isn't hard to quilt them on a machine..on one I made loops in the hex...just like they do when hand quilted..another I meander..another I made up something..it is best not to get a design that shows more than the pattern u have..if u have no pattern ..then not a problem..I have seven of mine on a ladder in the corner of my front room..the one that is tie gets very little comments compare to the other ones..because all u really see is the ties..people always ask .how long did it take to make that..or how many pieces in it..when u tie..u lose that to the tie..because most don't see beyond the tie..but if u do decide to tie..use embroidery thread..I use the whole six strands..it isn't as in your face as say yarn..one baby quilt I made years ago was white background..with little girls..I used all colors ..it turn out darling..so much so that the place I gave it to.put it into a showcase about the donated quilts..it in the end really ur own personal opinion that counts..if u do tie..it will not take long for u to decide if u like it..as for the edges..as said here there are many places to see how different ones are done..I like to put a small two inch border around..then a larger border around that..it sort of makes a frame look..u could do that then put hexs on the border if u wanted..so many ideas..lol..good luck in whatever u decide..