Old 06-03-2015, 05:19 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I doubled the bat on the entire thing. The beauty of wool is it has wonderful loft but will quilt down pretty flat without getting all stiff. So by doing dense background quilting and ditching everything - like every single individual tree is ditched and every feather on the heron is ditched - it really gets the applique to pop up like trapunto. More and more show quilters and LA quilters have started using double bats to get the effect of trapunto without all the hard work. I have double batted a lot of quilts. Even bed quilts that are utilitarian. It really gives the quilting wonderful definition as well as getting elements to pop like trapunto.
I also just did a double wool bat quilt--wanted lots of pop with the quilting cause it's very modern and not much piecing so the quilting needed to "talk". Love wool! Wish I could afford it all the time. and was so pleased that despite the loft, I had no trouble doing dense background stuff like I sometimes run into with a lofty poly.

And I having another aha! moment with your quilting--how smart are you to do the 3 panels together so there is such continuity in your quilting! It's just beautiful!