View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I'm getting somewhere. Stitches on the left with the machine threaded up. Stitches on the right without threading through the tension piece and using my fingers as tension instead. I am pretty sure the tension piece is the problem. Now I just have to figure out why? I have tried adding a stitch finger without any change.
I agree that it probably has something to do with tension piece, since the stitches when you used tension with fingers. The tension piece looks similar to an early 15K with the exception of the numbered dial. It seems like the tension screw stud has a groove (or maybe more groves) for the check spring and the check spring end goes in the grove. I'm thinking that perhaps that maybe the check spring isn't in the correct position or broken. Something I read in the 15K manual (I think I got from singerco site) also says that shouldn't try to adjust the tension unless the presser foot is down. I know that there are at least a couple different check springs for class 15 tensions.

It seems like if there aren't any burrs in check spring or tension discs that it should sew like when your fingers were "THE TENSION" for the top thread. Maybe a picture with it threaded will help?! My 15K really needs to be put back together as it needed a new check spring and is currently "buried" so can't get pictures of it.

Janey Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-04-2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: clarification